“Better saged than sorry”
1 Sage Smudge Stick
What is White Sage used for?
For thousands of years, white sage has been believed to be a blessed, sacred, cleansing, cathartic, purifying and protective plant. Its leaves are whitish light green, and if the leaves are rubbed between the thumb and forefinger, you feel a revitalizing, cleansing and refreshing fragrance is released.
You encounter negative energy in all aspects of your life, and while your aura does an excellent job of blocking it, sometimes negative energy can begin to have an effect on your life. White sage can be used in a variety of ways to improve the strength of your aura.
Native Americans have used white sage for its medicinal properties for centuries. Sage offers antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties to promote overall health and target emerging infections.
To use sage to clear negative energy in spaces:
- Close all windows and doors.
- Light a white sage bundle or place some white sage in an abalone shell or non-incendiary dish and light it.
- Allow the flames to burn out or blow them out so the sage smolders and smokes.
- If you are using a sage bundle, you will wave the bundle around objects and spaces to disperse the smoke. If you are burning loose sage in an abalone shell, you can use a feather or similar object to fan the sage around the space. If you’re working with a sage bundle, be sure to carry some type of a ceramic or glass dish with you to catch any ashes or sparks that might fall from the burning sage.
- Start at the main entrance to the space. With the sage smoking, wave or fan the smoke in a clockwise direction around the entryway.
- Then, moving around the space clockwise, wave or fan the sage smoke around the perimeter of the space, making sure you circle with smoke clockwise each entrance into the space (doors, windows, drains, fireplaces, etc.). Fan the smoke into corners and closets and behind places where energy may stagnate, such as large pieces of furniture.
- If the sage stops smoldering, stay where you are, relight it, and continue moving and fanning throughout the space.
- When you return to the front door, wave or fan the smoke counterclockwise around it to seal the energy.
- Now, repeat the above process with a burning herb or incense of your choice to bring the type of energy you’d like to experience to replace the negative energy removed by the sage.
- If you like, open the windows and doors to invite fresh air into your space.